Thursday, November 18, 2010

Day 6 - a few days later :)

     How do you describe Jake Jake?  He is something else.  Really, Jaxon and Joshua are quite opposite, so I thought, "A third son, he will be somewhat like either Jaxon or Josh."  Nope!  I was so wrong.  He is his very own, unique, special person.
     Tuesday night Jared had Young Men's with Jaxon and I had a quick scout meeting.  Jake had come home from school and read his books to Grandma before coming home and wanting to play "Ticket to Read" on the computer.  He can be quite competetive until he gets behind, then he has ZERO interest in whatever it is he wanted to win.  He will just quit.  It is very frustrating.  Anyway, apparently all the kids at school are playing TtoR so he wanted to play too.  But, he left his password at school and there was no way I was going to try and guess it.  So, I told him we would have to wait til the next day when we could ask his teacher what it is.  Well, he completely fell apart.  It was so sad, he was so heart-broken.  I just couldn't leave him to go to my meeting.  So, he came with me.  He was very good and very tender, hiding his face in my shoulder pretty much the whole time.  Afterward, he told me he really wanted pizza, he had been wanting pizza for weeks!  (We had just had pizza a few days ago).  Then, he had a brilliant idea!  He said, "Mom, I think we should go on a date!"  I was thrilled.  I don't get asked on dates too often, so I am always game.  But, it was 8:00 at night, which is bedtime, so it could have been a procrastination technique. :)  Either way, we decided to go out.  He wanted to use his pizza certificate (he gets a certificate from Pizza Hut for a personal pan pizza if he reads his allotted minutes per month) so he could pay for it.  I fibbed a bit and told him that Pizza Hut was probably closed.  (It was so late already, I thought we better hurry a bit).  So, we decided to go to Little Caesar's.  Well, LC was closed so he said we could go to McDonald's.  Since McD's is right by PH, I decided to drive by and see if PH was really close to closing.  However, it doesn't close until 10:00 so I asked him if he would rather have pizza or go to McD's.  He choose Pizza Hut - I was shocked!  Anyway, we went in and were seated at a booth, where he sat then I sat opposite of him, he quickly told me we should sit by each other, so he moved to my side.  Such a sweetie!  Then, he ordered himself a salad, and we both got raspberry lemonades (which were yummy!), then he decided maybe we should see if dad wanted to come.  We called and he decided to join us.  It was lovely.  As soon as dad showed up, Jake switched over to his side of the table to sit by him.  We ate til we got so full we were sick, then Jake gave the waitress his certificate to pay for our meal (wink wink).  He was so proud of himself.  He wanted to keep the receipt to show he had paid for it.  (Of course, while he was busy playing around, I hurried and paid the real bill.  The waitress did give him his salad and drink free - she was great.)  We had a delightful time and I am so grateful to my little Jakey - he keeps things honest and real.  He is really quite a sweetheart - with a crusty exterior.  So, watch out when you see him coming, you never know what you are going to get!  :)


P.S.  I told Jared he might not be invited on my dates with the boys anymore.  Jake ended up sitting by him, staying by him, and even rode home with him, even though Jared wouldn't let him take his drink in his new truck!  Crazy kids!  I seem to be the one that always gets the short end of the deal.  But, really, I am okay with it because I love how much they love their dad - he needs it!  :)

2 comments:

Followers