Sunday, January 16, 2011

Thanksgiving 2010

     We had such a lovely Thanksgiving this year.  My mom was hosting for my dad's extended family and there are so many of us, we had to have it in the church.  I was in charge of taking a pie (we took cherry & banana), green bean casserole (not bad), and some rolls.  Pretty easy assignments, right? The kids and I went the night before and helped Mom set up tables, chairs, and decorations.  It was actually pretty fun and got me more in the spirit of Thanksgiving.  Funny how service seems to do that for you.  Too bad I always seem to forget. :)
     Anyway, the next day we went and ate and visited and ate and played basketball (not sure why we have never been a 'play football' family, always basketball) and ate some more. YUM!  I used to hate Thanksgiving, I thought it was SO boring!  I remember growing up going to my Grandma Leila's house and all us girls thought it was a rip-off.  We would all eat, food that wasn't that good (I think we were crazy!) then all the boys would watch football or play basketball and us girls would end up doing ALL of the dishes!  What a crock!  I hated it - life is all about fair for me and this WAS NOT fair.  Oh well, I got over it.  Now I think it is kind of funny.  But, I prefer paper plates. :)
     I am not sure why I liked this Thanksgiving so much, maybe because it felt a bit more real - Thanksgiving"y" if you will.  Maybe because all my kids are old enough to feed themselves and then play by themselves and I can just sit and relax.  It was very pleasant.  We took Jared's brother, Garrison with us as well.  He is always fun to have around and he dressed up for us and looked so handsome! :)  (Not sure why I don't have a pic, I think it goes back to the enjoying myself, I wasn't running around snapping photos).
     Anyway, I don't know what more to say about it since it was about 2 months ago and I have forgotten a play by play of what happened.  But, I know the feeling I get when I think about it and it is peace and pleasantness.  So, a big thanks to all who work and cook and are willing to share Thanksgiving with family so we can enjoy each other and renew bonds that may have withered a bit during the passing year.
Jake insisted on a whole turkey leg since last time we were in Dland, both the other boys got one
and made a BIG deal out of it.  (Jake didn't eat it all, but he enjoyed it!)

Mom, Ry, and Sar cleaning up the kitchen - always a fun chore!  :)

Jaxon dribbling past his dad trying to get a lay-up.
     So, Happy Thanksgiving, hopefully it sends you warm fuzzies of memory from your wonderful feast!  If not, feel free to come and join us next year - everyone is welcome!  (Well, there may be some restrictions since this blog isn't private - you'll have to be approved! :))
Part of "The Spread" - doesn't it make you hungry?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers