Saturday, February 5, 2011

Our Exciting Adventure! - Dec. 7

 Jared and I decided for Christmas that we should go on vacation rather than spend so much money on things the kids didn't really need.  I have always thought memories were more important than having everything little thing you want and still agree with that.  And, any of you who know me at all, know that I LOVE DISNEY!!!  I love how easy it is to fit in there and no one stares at you with your 5 kids, everyone just tries to be happy and enjoy.  (Yes, I realize there can be pushing and a bit of selfishness, but for the most part, it really isn't bad).  Plus, there is something for everyone.  I am telling you, it is like the perfect spot for a family vacation.  ANYWAY,  I have been to DWorld a few times - maybe 4-5.  Jared has been a couple times and Jaxon and Josie have been once.  So, where to go?  I have wanted to go on a cruise forever, but haven't been.  But, things that make me a bit nervous I would rather experience without kids first - just to know the problems that may be encountered.  Other than that, I knew I wanted to go somewhere warm.  Then, I started seeing all these deals about Disneyworld.  And, I have watched MANY specials on DWorld and know how awesome their Christmas decorations are supposed to be.  Anyway, long story short, we decided to go to Disneyworld!  And, as a bonus, we decided to go to Harry Potter World at Universal.  (That was the highlight for some of the kids).

Anyone who wanted to come was invited, but I pretty much set the schedule.  I set it around the free meal days at DW and cheapest airline dates.  :)  Which left us going on Tuesday, December 7th and coming home on Thursday, December 16 - a full 10 days.  Which may seem like a long time but we filled every second of every day and could've stayed longer.  (I could've stayed an extra month!)

We flew out of SLC, which I prefer to Las Vegas but it is usually more expensive.  Luckily, we found the best airline tickets out of SLC - had to pay for our luggage so we checked one bag and carried the rest on.  I am sure we looked like a traveling circus.  (Wish I would've taken a picture, but I had no hands and no time to stop).  Each child had a backpack filled with things to do and a maximum size carry-on luggage that rolled so they could pull their own.  Plus, we had 2 camera bags, 2 booster seats, and 1 stroller.  Can you say chaos? My parents came with us as well as Ry - well, that is a little complicated, like single people's life's tend to be - Ry came for the first half and then had to leave.  Sara came for the last half.  Crazy.  Linds didn't come at all.  :(  We were glad to have whoever could come for whatever amount of time.  So, picture us walking through the airport - Jared and I, heavily laden with stuff - Jaxon, backpack with at least 50 lbs of homework, pulling his own carry on plus Jainie's.  Josie and Josh handling their own bags, thankfully.  Jake handling his backpack and trading off with his carry-on and Jainie barely being able to walk without being carried.  She did pull the stroller when not riding in it.  Then, Dad, Mom, and Ry bringing their stuff as well as anything else we couldn't get.  All of us in single line - following the leader, usually me.  Hopefully, no one wanted to get through our impenetrable line of defense.
We made sure to wear comfy clothes with no jewelry - trust me it took us long enough to
get through the security, I can't imagine having to empty pockets and take things off.  Shoes
were bad enough.  In Orlando, they had a special line for families, because we tend to
take so long.  :)  No one got searched ever and I think Jared is the only one who beeped.  Josh
wanted to take his little pocket knife, because Jared always takes his and was very upset when
we told him they would take it away and Jared wasn't even taking his.  I think he was really
wondering about airports and crazy people.

It was pure relief when we would get to the gate.  Just put our stuff down and sit.  Whew!  We made it.  We had a plane change both on the way there and on the way home.  We stopped at Denver on the way there and Houston on the way home.  Both times, having to change planes.  Either way, we made it.  It was definitely the part of the trip I was dreading most!  I don't like flying.  Especially with five kids.

Jaxon was ambivalent about flying again, I think he thought it was kinda cool.  He does want to be a pilot so I guess it is good he doesn't think it is a big deal.   Josie had just been to San Francisco with the girls a couple years before, so she was the calm influence over the kids.  Josh had flown on our trip to Nauvoo, but he was a baby, so he didn't remember.  He was actually the one who kept telling us that he wanted a plane flight for Christmas.  He didn't care where, he just wanted to fly.  Until, a couple days before the vacation, then he didn't want to go.  He volunteered to stay home, with anyone, go to school, the whole deal if he didn't have to go.  He gets a bit nervous.  Jake was super excited, there was a lot of hand shaking and nervous teasing.  Jainie was excited but nervous as well, having no idea what to expect.   We all made it, and the return trip was funny because you would have thought they were all seasoned fliers.  They wouldn't even look out the windows - TV and sleep were much too important.  :)

Mom and I had planned the whole seating perfectly.  However, a couple days before leaving,
we received an email telling us that our plane was switched.  It was only 4 minutes different so
neither of us thought much of it.  Until we got to the airport then we realized they had changed our
seats.  We were all in individual seats not be each other!  AAAHHH!  Luckily, a lady there got us
 seats that were a bit better so everyone but Jared and I were sitting by someone else - for the trip
to Denver.  Then, the long one, this is how we sat - these 3 together, me with the crazy ones and Jared
by himself.  Hopefully, he got some sleep.  Mom, Dad, and Ry were way up there on their own.
Not ideal, but it worked.

These 2 did great!

We got to Orlando at about 6:30 - their time.  It was just as the sun was setting - so beautiful.  Lots of water!

I love this picture - the way the sunset reflects off of the wing.  Planes really are amazing!
So, there you have it.  Our exciting adventure to our exciting adventure.  After we arrived we picked up our rental cars (this was Jared's least favorite part - he hates rental cars, it seems something always goes wrong), picked up our 1 piece of checked luggage and tried to get out of the airport.  That only took a couple wrong turns and an extra half an hour.  But, we made it to our hotel and all the kids were wound up and all the adults were exhausted.  Our first meal was pizza ordered to the hotel room and some calming ESPN.  Ahh, what a life.  :)

1 comment:

  1. What a life indeed! ALthough, I must admit, it sounds just the tiniest bit stressful and crazy.

    ReplyDelete

Followers