Friday, September 3, 2010

Tender Mercies and Modern Miracles - Part I

Sometimes life is going so well, so smoothly - sure, there are crazy little bumps and stressful times but nothing major.  And, then, BAM! something happens that totally ROCKS your world (not necessarily in a good or bad way, just rocks it).  Usually I think this is a good thing because it brings you back to reality, gives you new perspective.  I guess this is why I haven't blogged for awhile, I have had a lot to think about.  So, I'll tell you a little about it.
     First of all, I had the awesome opportunity to go to BYU's Education week again this year.  I LOVE this, highly recommend.  It totally rejuvenates me, in every way - spiritually, physically, mentally, emotionally, etc.  I think it makes me a better person.  It is a sacrifice to go, finding babysitters, leaving the family, finding a place to stay, etc. but so worth it.  (I am very fortunate that my mom goes so I just room with her.  And, usually my sisters go, so all of us hang out a bit, then split for some classes, go to some together, etc.)
     Anyway, at one of my last classes I met someone. . .  I went to a speaker that I hadn't been to all week, (I like to mix it up a bit) and thought his topic looked interesting.  So, I walked in to the room but it looked full.  I was about to start walking to the back of the room and see if there was one single seat somewhere when I saw a woman waving to me saying she had one seat.  So, I headed over.  Now, usually, because of my shy nature, I am not too chatty with people I don't know.  But, this time I felt I should talk to her so I thanked her for the seat and asked where she was from, etc.  Well, she was quite chatty and started talking about how she lived by Seattle and had just moved back.  They had just come back from living in Japan for 3 years, where her husband worked for the Navy.  I wish I could explain to you how amazing this woman was, there was just something about her that intrigued me.  She was shining, she was special.  Not necessarily in looks, she was pretty, very simple, no make-up, short simple hair, etc.  But, you could tell she was a very humble, accepting woman.  Anyway, as we were talking, our conversation turned to our families, of course.  I told her I had 5 children, she had the same.  Her oldest was mid-twenties and youngest was 11.  I found out she had taken her youngest 3 to Japan with her and her 3rd child, a boy, was actually on a mission in Japan for 2 of the 3 years they were there.  I thought that was interesting, thought maybe they followed him over there, which I thought was weird.  But, you know, we Mormons can be an eccentric bunch. I then asked her where her older two were.  As a mother, I often wonder how well I will let my children go, I am quite attached.  Because of this, I enjoy talking to mothers who have let their children go and figuring out how they deal with it.  So, she told me her oldest is a girl and she has a job in Chicago so she stayed there.  Then, she told me that her 2nd child, a son, had actually died while on his mission in So. Africa.  What?  I was shocked!  Of course, she teared up a bit, and so did I.  She then explained to me how she knows of the Lord's tender mercies.  That she was so scared to send her 3rd son on his mission.  They had lived in Japan for 4 months when he turned in his papers.  And, then, she said he was called to Japan, a different island than they were on, but still close.  And, she knew that the Lord was taking care of her.  Her testimony, both spoken and unspoken, was so strong.  It was obvious that she knew the Lord loved her and knew she needed her son close, just in case.  Beautiful.  Amazing.  How blessed I felt that I could meet this wonderful woman and learn just a bit about her.  And, I knew that I was supposed to meet her and learn from her.  Perspective.
    I learned SO much at Ed. Week, so many wonderful lessons to apply to my life.   But, this one is the one that touched my heart the most.  How would I react if this had happened to me?  Honestly, I am not sure.  And, I hope I never find out.
    So, thank you to my special Education Week friend.  Thank you for the lesson.  Thank you for your example.  Thank you for sharing your story with a complete stranger, even though, you seemed a bit reticent about it.  Thank you for letting me into your life for just a few moments.  And, especially, thank you for teaching me how to be a better person.  I will always remember you and your example!

5 comments:

  1. Wow... what a beautiful story. Thanks for sharing it- I needed to think about this today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are pretty amazing yourself...and letting children go is probably the hardest thing(s) I have ever done. Yet, you turned out wonderfully. (this is actually from mom)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this story, it makes my daily trials seem trite. I needed this reminder. It just shows you that Heavenly Father truly knows what we need more than we do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post rang so true for me. Big things in life really do give you the right perspective. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was awesome!! It's so nice to be "filled" at education week, and put things in perspective. BTW. Shy nature what?? Not my Janna.

    ReplyDelete

Followers