Monday, April 25, 2011

Feeling Spoiled - Epcot - Day 6 - O.E.A.

Sunday - my favorite day of the week.  This day is the reason we broke down and rented cars - much more convenient, but more money and stress - especially for Jared.  :)  Anyway, we took a lazy morning, woke up, ate breakfast and got ready to go to church.  We had looked up where the closest church was and were excited to attend in Florida.  (I think it is a fun tradition to go to church wherever you are on vacation.  It is such a testimony builder to know that no matter where you go there are good, strong people who keep the faith and live the gospel.)  I didn't get any pictures of the church, which is unusual, usually I do pretty well with that.  Anyway, it was December 12 and the ward we attended was having their Primary Program!  Crazy!  I was surprised it was so late in the year - but it was perfect for the kids and for me too.  It was so different from what I have seen before.  Each child had a speaking part, as well as a singing part, either individual, in a small group, or with their family.  It was pretty fun.  The pianist played throughout as well, really did not stop, not through the talks or anything.  The program did go long, but I think everyone enjoyed it anyway.  It was amazing to me that we had just been to the Candlelight Processional the day before in Epcot; and, attending sacrament meeting was so much better - more spiritual, much more testimony building, more uplifting, etc. Don't get me wrong, the C.P. was wonderful - but this was so much better.  Another interesting thing was that there were so many different ethnicities in that ward - I think caucasians were the minority - that surprised me - I didn't know Florida was so diverse.  There were some Christmas songs, and all the program songs.  Anyway, it was awesome.

The other interesting thing that happened at church was that we sat right across from a woman my mom thought she recognized and later realized was her cousin.  Funny, right?  She lives in Celebration, FL - the town Disney built and this was her home ward.  Grandma didn't recall that her cousin lived in Florida.  It really is such a small world.

Jainie pretending to be asleep on our ride back to the cabins.
Anyway, after we finished church, we went back to our cabins to change our clothes.  I liked this as well, because it was the only day that we were at our cabins in the middle of the day.  It was nice to enjoy the woods a bit before running off.  When we are  vacationing on Sunday's, we always go to church and we continue to use the day as a vacation day to explore, learn things, etc.  But, we try not to shop - this is one reason we went to Epcot - not as many exciting rides, but more learning about things.  Not perfect, I realize, but it seems to work for us.  I guess everyone has to decide what works for them and feel at peace with it.  

The sign that would always welcome us home.
 You'll notice that Grandma and the kids were ready to head over to the parks first.  I was busy trying to clean up a bit, I have no idea what everyone else was doing.

This is in front of our cabin - the open door led into the kitchen area while the other door led into the bedroom.  There was another pull-down bed in the family room.  I still wish we would have had more time to explore the area.  Jaxon really wanted to try out the basketball court, but we never got over there either.  I guess it's a good excuse to go back!  Jake is getting tired of waiting - and just getting tired.  (Notice how beautiful the weather is).  

Yeah!  The happiest place on Earth!  

By the time we got to Epcot, it was POURING!  Not Utah pouring, but Florida pouring.  And, the wind was horrendous - it was whipping doors to their widest point and banging them, it was pulling papers and garbage out of open trunks, etc.  It was crazy.  We opted to sit in the car for a minute to see if it would settle down.  When the wind slowed for a minute, we jumped out, all put on our rain jackets, got everyone all wrapped up and headed for the entrance.  Gpa, Gma, Ry, Sar, and Jaxon hadn't come at the same time as us, they weren't quite ready by the time we left.  So, Jared and I were taking the kids into the park, when I remembered I had forgotten a bag we needed in the car.  So, Jared ran back to get it with Josh.  Meanwhile, I took Jainie, Josie and Jake into one of the Innoventions buildings - then, I remembered we would need a stroller so I left Josie with the other 2 yea-hoos and ran to the stroller rental place, thinking it would be quick.  Of course, it wasn't.  (Crazy, right.  The things you do on vacations - sometimes I don't think I have a brain - probably it is just been all used up by day 2 :)).  Anyway, they were fine and we all met back together.  By that time, Gma called wondering where we were.  We were supposed to meet at the UK for Fish & Chips.  They had beat us there - goes to show how much longer everything takes with kids.  

So, by the time we were eating our lunch, the other group was finished.  They decided to go off exploring - I think this is when they checked out the U.K.  Actually, I think this is when Jaxon and Gma bought my Christmas present - which I love - a beautiful necklace from Ireland.

 Jared and I LOVED these Fish and Chips from the U.K.  If anyone knows how to make them like this, I would love to know!  MMMM - hope you're not hungry!

So, Josh is showing what the Fish & Chips come in.  Just like newspaper, cool right?  Anyway, I thought this was the perfect weather for this day.  I told the kids that Britain was trying to make us feel just like we were really in Britain.  It rains all the time there, right?  And, it was overcast and kind of cloudy - wonderful - not pouring, just drizzling.
There were also some seagulls flying around us trying to get us to feed them, which we did, but just a little.

 Heading into the U.K.  Sara and I had just bought our matching beanies, I later gave mine to Josh because he decided it was the one he wanted.  I love this place!  The Fish & Chips place is right behind us.  You can tell it's a bit chilly.  I used the big green poncho because it would go over the camera bag I was carrying on my back, and keep it dry.  I am sure I looked like the Hunchback of Notre Dame, but we are in Disney, right?

While the rest of us met characters, Ry, Jake, and Gpa hung out by the cute U.K. houses.

We got to meet so many beautiful princesses on this day.  I consider Mary Poppins a princess - I love her, she is one of my favorite characters.  When we went into the U.K., we found her and Tigger and Pooh.  Unfortunately, my camera ran out of batteries so the rest of the day we had to use Grandma's and Josie's.  Thank goodness Josie got one for her birthday a couple days before.  Anyway, Mary was very nice, of course, and told the kids to eat their vegetables.  I like her dress and hat.  I could be her when I get my job at Disney.  :)

We also met Alice in the U.K.  Jainie has always loved Alice and has an Alice dress, too bad it is a size 3 and she is 5.  That is what she told Alice.  So, Alice told her she better buy a new one!  I guess she lives in a daydream world. :)  Jake didn't care to meet Alice - too bad the Mad Hatter wasn't there, then he would have gone.

After leaving the U.K., we headed into France.  France was beautiful, loved the Eiffel Tower replica.  They have a delicious pastry shop here, but we didn't stop to get anything this time.  Actually, on our 3rd day here, while the kids busy for a minute, we actually stopped and got chocolate crepes, which were divine, of course.  We did go to the attraction here, which is a movie "Impressions de France."  I thought it was beautiful, unfortunately it doesn't have any labels of what you are seeing, so if you don't know, you end up with a mystery.  It is very relaxing, hopefully you aren't sleepy when you view it.  :)  Just to note, Gma thought it was quite boring, as did Jake.
After coming out of the movie in France, there is a little shopping area where the Kidcot stop was, this was the woman working there.  It was fun to have one of them sign our books with something in their own language.  They were very nice as well.  It was fun to visit with them.

Josie and Jainie bought these adorable berets in France - I think they both look so cute in them.  They are made of 100% wool, so they could only wear them when it was cold, not rainy.  I think this is looking back into France.

So, Jaxon is modeling here with a pretty cool camel in Morocco.  One of my favorite parts of Morocco is the tile decorated archways (background).  I also love the stucco work here.  It is really a beautiful pavilion - there isn't an attraction or movie, which I think is too bad.  I think it would be good for us to learn more about these people and their culture.  So, we enjoyed walking through their little part of DW.  They do have a restaurant which I have been to before - it has a great belly dancer, one I didn't want my boys to see. :)

So, this was the nice lady who signed our books here.  She didn't speak much English but kept mentioning how beautiful Jainie and Josie were.  She wouldn't look at the camera, hopefully she was okay with me taking her picture.  You'd think she would be used to it, it is Disney World.

So, at this point, it was time for our reservations.  We had two options on this day.  I knew Josie and Jainie would want a princess dinner and Norway has one.  I didn't think the boys would like it however.  And, Jared LOVES sushi - I know, go figure.  He learned to love it on his mission - his mission was in Tennessee.  Weird.  Anyway, I thought the boys would really like this too - where the chefs cook right in front of you and do their knife tricks.  And, we hadn't tried either place, which was a bonus.  So, everyone chose for themselves.  
It turned out that Jared, Jaxon, Josh, Ryan, and Sara went to Japan to Teppan Edo.  I, obviously, wasn't there so I can't give it a full review.  And, the other four are probably the worst ones for giving me reviews.  I know they said it was good.  Jaxon got an awesome video of Josh trying sushi.  Josh is the pickiest eater we have and in the video he starts gagging and about loses it, I am impressed that he tried it - very unlike him.  I think Jaxon thought it was alright - the sushi.  (I have to say I am just glad that Jared took a picture, as per his instructions.  We gave him Josie's camera to use and we used Gma's).

I am so glad someone took this picture, I am guessing Sara, of the boys outside of Japan.  I think it was fun to break up for a minute, let these guys enjoy for a bit on their own.

 So, the rest of us headed to Norway.  I am not sure why Gpa and Jake wanted to go to Norway.  I think Gpa doesn't particularly like sushi and Norway is all you can eat - you can get your money's worth there.  I think Jake is still young enough to enjoy the princesses and I like to think he really likes his mom!  :)  
As I have mentioned, just because you have a reservation doesn't assure you on-time entry.  So, while we waited to get into our dinner, Jake, Jainie, Josie and Gma listened to the "Holiday" story in Norway.  We had heard it the day before, it is pretty entertaining.  It is about their "Santa Claus," a gnome called Julesnissen.  Families will leave rice porridge out for him to keep on his good side.  He likes to play tricks on people, especially those who don't believe, which is where this cute lady comes in.  She doesn't believe and so Julesnissen comes to teach her a lesson.  He chooses someone from the audience to tease her with a bell.  Jake was hoping he would get chosen and this time he did.  It was pretty funny - this is his ideal role - thinking he is getting away with something.  (I am thinking someone probably filmed all of these stories and they are probably on youtube, that would be interesting.)

Anyway, as soon as the story was over it was our turn to be seated.  First off, we went in and met Belle, she was the main princess of the castle - at least for us.  She was wonderful and Jainie loved that she looked just like her.
The only thing Jainie didn't like was that Belle's dress was "poofier" than hers and that she had to wear a shirt under hers AND that her hair didn't look as pretty because of the rain.  I think she looks adorable!  She decided to keep her beret on because Josie told her it was from France, which is where Belle is from.  :)

So, to start off, there was a "princess parade," where, depending on which room you were seated in, would determine which princess you would follow.   And, then you would follow them throughout the castle walking to show everyone else how beautiful/handsome you were.  Our princess was Sleeping Beauty/Aurora, which Josie loved.  She is still Josie's favorite princess.  Then, they would take turns coming to your table to visit and for pictures and autographs.


 Cinderella was Jake's favorite, I am not sure why.  Apparently, we were lucky to see Cinderella because she usually just stays in her castle at the M.K.
 Jake was hiding under the table at this point, he had had enough of the princesses.  Jainie was super excited to meet Ariel because she has always been Jainie's favorite.  However, as you can tell, she did NOT enjoy her as much as she thought she would.  Ariel was very outgoing and non-stop talking.  Jainie couldn't get a word in.  And, she called her, "Jainie, the jubilant jumping jellyfish," which Jainie took as a HUGE insult!  Not sure why.
(I decided California must have prettier girls).
I think our waitress was the prettiest princess that we saw. She was really from Norway, her name was Linda - or that is what she went by anyway.  

So, on to the food, like I mentioned it was buffet but a bit different.  It had a koldtbord, which is a cold buffet of cheeses, meats, rolls, fish and salads.  You could get as much of this as you wanted.  It was pretty good, I tried the herring and cold salmon.  Man, I was adventurous!  Then, you would order something hot from the kitchen.  You could order more than one if you wanted, but only 1 at a time.  And, they didn't make it too well known that you could order more than one.  I ordered the traditional Kjottkake - ground beef and pork dumplings served with mashed potatoes, seasonal vegetables, and lingonberry sauce.   It was okay.  (They had a grilled venison sandwich with sausage, this is what I am sure the boys would have ordered - we could probably make that here :)).  Jainie and Jake both choose meatballs with mickey-shaped cheese ravioli.  This was Jainie's birthday lunch, so we sang to her and she got a yummy cupcake for dessert.  

Unfortunately, everything is a bit hazy after this.  I know the first thing we did was that we decided we had better head back over to Future World, since it closes before the World Showcase to explore a bit over there.  Jaxon had to write a report for school and I thought it would be awesome if it were on manatees, because I have always loved them, so we headed to "The Living Seas."  

Here, you can see we are waiting for the Japan people while getting some great fish face pics outside of "Nemo and Friends," which is the entrace into the Living Seas.  We all loved the song to the attraction, "Big Blue World."  We looked around for a bit and saw the cool aquarium creatures for a little bit before it closed up.  We did miss "Turtle Talk with Crush,"  which is great, but we have seen it every time we go to Dland so we were okay.

We ran to the "big ball" to go on "Spaceship Earth" next.  I love this ride, too bad the line always seems so long.  This is one of Jainie's absolute FAVORITE rides, this and "Soarin."  They have updated it since the last time I was here.  You get to go to the top of the ball, watching about how communication has evolved.  Jainie has 2 favorite parts, the first is when she sees "the guy on the bunk bed painting on his ceiling" - Michelangelo - Sistine Chapel.  And, then, when you start going down from the ball, there are strings of white lights strung up to look like stars, "I love the part where you go on your back and look at the sky and see all the pretty stars".  Works for Jainie.  Anyway, then, a computer in your seat takes your picture and you answer questions and it decides things about your future for you.  Pretty great.  At the end of the ride, there are various kiosks to play at.  One of our favorites was one where you would drop the body parts into a body in the right spot - all computer animated, of course.  I could not get the kids to leave this area, and by kids, I am including my dad, Jared, Ryan and Sara.
Ry and Jake

Dad and Josie with beret

Grandpa and Grandma

Jaxon and Jake

Mom and Jainie

Jainie and Sara

After this we headed over to the "Imagination Pavilion," which I really think is fun.  We got to go on the "Journey into the Imagination with Figment"Oh,ride which I still think is fun.  We didn't have to wait at all, in fact, we may have been the only ones there.  It was really close to closing time.  Plus, I found one of my favorite shops here, right outside the exit.  We did miss the "Michael Jackson, Captain E.O." film that I wanted to see.  I haven't seen that forever!  

Since Future World was now closed, we headed back to World Showcase and actually enjoyed the Canadian pavilion a bit more.  It really is a fun pavilion - beautiful waterfalls and rock cliffs and gardens.  
Oh, and a few cool totem poles and these ?, I don't know what they are called, good thing I took a picture.  :)  Anyway, we finally found the time to go into the movie in Canada.  Hands down, my favorite movie at Epcot.  It has changed since I was here last and now Martin Short narrates it.  He is too funny.  Plus, it has wonderful landscapes and fascinating people and places.  "O Canada!" is what is it called and I remember seeing it as a child and have always loved singing the first couple lines of the song, "O Canada" - it is a great song.  The kids all liked the movie too, no one even fell asleep, and it had been a long day, it even got a few chuckles from the kiddos.  Needless to say, I really like our neighbors to the north and I wouldn't mind visiting again sometime. (the real Canada, but DW Canada is great too!)  But, probably not until summer, when it's warmer - probably not this summer. 

After coming out of the movie, it was time to head out, we watched a bit of Illuminations again as we were leaving.  Time to go to bed.  And, it was getting COLD!
This was our towel pet when we got home, laying on top of Josie's beloved blankie.  Pretty cool towel snake, eh?


2 comments:

  1. So great to read your posts and see your pics. DW is the "happiest place on earth!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have no idea how much this really makes me want to go to Disneyland/world/Epcot. Really. A lot. Man! Why didn't I ditch work? It looks so amazingly fun and so many fabulous memories (especially for your kids...)

    ReplyDelete

Followers